Mr. Toskas was born in Athens on February 22, 1952.
During the dictatorship in Greece he participated in a resistance group.
He followed a career in the Greek Army, from which he retired in March 2005, having the rank of Major General.
During his military career, he graduated from:
- The Hellenic Military Academy (1975).
- The War School (1991).
- The National Defense School (1999).
- The United States Army Armor School.
He has also taught Military Tactics at the War School.
In the course of his military career he served for more than thirty (30) years:
- in military armored units in the regions of Evros, Macedonia and the Aegean. He has also been the commander of 25th Armoured Brigade in Xanthi.
- in the Hellenic Army General Staff,
- in the National Defense General Staff at operational, intelligence and defense planning. He has also served as Staff Office Director to the Chief of the Hellenic National Defense General Staff.
- with the NATO’S International Military Staff (Brussels), in charge of defense planning areas,
- at the NATO Headquarters in Naples/Italy and
- in Sarajevo/Bosnia with the official task of intelligence evaluation regarding the Balkans, the Central Asia and the Middle East.
After he had retired, he has worked:
- with the defense sector of PASOK political party (since 2006) and
- with the Strategic and Development Studies Institute (ISTAME) as a member of the Scientific Committee on defense issues (since 2008).
Since November 2009, he has served as Director of the Political Office of the Deputy Minister of Defense. He resigned in June 2011. From October 2011 till January 2015, he used to teach the lesson of “Military Strategy” at the Hellenic Military Academy. Since 2011, he has been a member and coordinator of “PRATTO” Political Movement. On January 25 2015, he was elected MP with the “SYRIZA” political party and on the 27 of the same month he assumed the office of Deputy Minister of National Defense of the Hellenic Republic. On September 20 of the same year, he was reelected MP with “SYRIZA” and on the 23 he was nominated Alternate Minister of Interior of the Hellenic Republic. He is married and has a son and a daughter. He speaks English fluently.